Saturday, May 11, 2013

Golden Meadows Products and Paperwork

May 4, 2013 Moorpark, California
 
At the dining room table, Tim and Barbara Hoke went over their breeding practices and what each new puppy owner gets with their dog.  Most Vizslas, they said, go to empty-nesters and this is their second or third Vizsla.  Most have the puppy "started" and leave the dog with the breeder a few weeks longer for crate training, potty training, bite inhibition, no- ark training, sit, stay, and other basic commands.
 
This is some of what was in the booklet for each dog purchased at Golden Meadows.
It is 28 pages long: both sire and dam pedigree, all OFA's performed, vaccination records and general puppy-raising information and articles all in a plastic-covered binder.  This one was given to me along with the items below.
 








Information on the food they send and how to "change" to another brand

 
 
_________________________________________________________________
 
 
A 40-minute DVD where Barbara  Hoke (co-owner) goes over 11 training tips
DVD on "the truth about dog food"

The product line of food they send with the pup

Vitamin supplement given with each pup.  Wafers. 
  I toss one to Bailey and Chloe each day.  They like them.


 
_______________________________________________________________________________

I am neither recommending or not recommending Golden Meadows Kennels.
That was not the intention of the 5-hour drive down to visit them last weekend.  It was to see for myself a "high-volume" breeding operation and how they function.  Not all operations are the same.

This was an interesting visit with Tim and Barbara Hoke (owners), their grown daughter, the trainer, groomer, office staff, and maintenance man. All work at it full time. They have been breeding 21 years with Goldens and 7 with Vizslas.

Everyone was friendly and open. Nothing I could tell was hidden from me. I arrived one hour early from my appointed time and they were fine with my coming then.

Make up your own mind on breeders. When visiting the breeder, look and see for yourself. Take NOTHING for granted.

Knowledge is power. Objectivity is mandatory to get the best Hungarian Pointer.

If after visiting the breeder you don't like what you SEE, don't  get your dog there, who will hopefully, eventually, be a heathy and happy true companion for 15 to 20 years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you visited the kennel. The pictures and info upgrade them from puppy mill to a commercial high-output business in my opinion. It's *better*, but definitely not ideal situation. I would never buy a pup raised in dirt and gravel over a home-raised pup (my preference). They're in it for the money, but at least the pups aren't suffering.

Rod Michaelson said...

I guess all I could say "Anonymous" is go down and visit and SEE for yourself.
Never accept anything you see or read on the internet, especially the personal choice of where to get YOUR dog. Pictures of "home-raised" pups on the internet may be anything but UNLESS you visit and SEE for yourself. Guess the wisdom of Buyer Beware applies.
RBD

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Regardless of where you buy a pup, you should ALWAYS visit the facilities. We made a 16 hour drive TWICE before we brought our baby home. Pups were raised in the home and all dogs lived in the home as part of the family. That's the way I like it. :) I view pups as family members, not just animals. Many people don't see them that way. We've been saving up to start a family and this may be delayed due to surgery for a pup. I'm okay with that. She's my family first and foremost. We made a commitment to her and I'm willing to do everything I can to maintain her quality of life. 6 hour drive to the vet this Wednesday. *fingers crossed* we have a good prognosis.